Amaranth's Risky Business
It appears risk management went out the window at Amaranth, the giant hedge fund that
The six-year-old hedge fund's big gamble that natural gas prices would keep rising paid off for much of the summer. At one point, the Connecticut-based fund was up 20% for the year -- boosting its assets under management at one point to a little over $9 billion.
But in a span of a week, all those paper gains, and more, went up in smoke. Last week's sudden fall in the price of natural gas meant that the hedge fund ended up losing nearly four times as much as it had gained.
Now, Amaranth is telling investors that it's 35% in the red for the year. The asset base has shrunk to about $5 billion. And that's before investors have had to chance to pull money out of the fund -- something that could happen in the coming months.But what made Amaranth's gamble so disastrous is that it borrowed heavily from its brokers to bet on the spread between natural gas contracts. By one estimate, for every dollar of its own money that Amaranth put down, it used $5 in so-called leverage. That ratio can produce a big payday if a trader makes the right bet. But when a bet goes awry, all that leverage only magnifies the losses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV