Apple's iTV Intriguing but Not a Core Business
Indeed, in some ways, existing technology is cheaper, easier and better than what iTV or other digital living room products can offer. Downloading a single feature length movie from iTunes will take at least 30 minutes -- under optimal conditions.
And consumers get a lot more with a DVD that they won't get with an iTunes movie. Most DVDs include extras such as documentaries and outtakes that don't come with digital downloads. And while DVDs work on every DVD player, iTunes-purchased movies will only play on Apple's iPods and iTV, as well as on computer's via Apple's software.
Then there are devices that offer similar functions at a cheaper price. Want to play your digital music and view your digital photos in your living room? Apple itself offers a cable that plugs into your iPod and does just that for just $20 -- or less than one-tenth the expected $300 price of iTV.iTV also could see significant competition from Sony (SNE) and Microsoft (MSFT). Both companies have new video-game consoles that can be used as living room media hubs. Unlike Apple's iTV, both devices will be on store shelves this holiday season, and sales of both are expected to be in the millions of units, if only for their video-game functions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV