Apple's iTV Intriguing but Not a Core Business
"The value proposition is easy to explain," says Van Baker, an analyst with Gartner. Consumers' best audio and video equipment is typically in their living rooms, he says. "Who wouldn't want to watch their movies or listen to their music
Gartner's Baker, among other analysts, blame today's small market for digital living room devices on the complexity of the products. They weren't easy to use, they were often difficult to configure and set up -- and they weren't compatible with the files consumers have purchased from iTunes.
In contrast, analysts attribute a good deal of Apple's success in digital music to the iPod's ease of use and to how seamlessly it works with iTunes. Ostensibly, iTV would offer similar simplicity in the digital living room."This market is crying out for an Apple solution," says Van Baker. That may be, but the company and iTV still face some significant challenges. As much as analysts believe that the digital living room is the wave of the future, the market is still unproven; products haven't sold well. And it's unclear if consumers are clamoring for a box that will link their computers to their entertainment centers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV