Napster Wakes Up
Napster has said that a growing array of music-enabled cell phones should help grow the business. Analysts also pointed to its partnership with NTT DoCoMo (DCM), Japan's largest wireless carrier, which will sell handsets compatible with Napster To Go.
Also in the pool of potential pursuers are Internet companies.
(YHOO) purchased Musicmatch in 2004, but
(GOOG) doesn't have a music service and could be a contender, Munster says.
(AMZN) recently debuted its
The third, long-shot category could be broadband providers, Munster says, as companies "try and entice people to stick with their broadband service providers. I think you could see a music service integrated with those offerings."
Don't discount a certain hardware manufacturer, says another Napster watcher."The one that makes the most sense to me is SanDisk (SNDK)," says Darren Aftahi, vice president, equity research at ThinkEquity Partners, which makes a market in Napster but does not own shares or do banking. "They have pretty good traction in the MP3 market -- that gives Napster a distribution platform," he says. On Monday, SanDisk lent its support to RealNetworks instead. Real said its Rhapsody service
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV