Napster Wakes Up
"They've got a hefty cash position that comes along with a transaction," Sutton says. The company last reported cash on hand of about $98 million.
However, the company said design changes to the page should prompt new paid subscriptions in the second half of the year.
Additionally, Napster's has a total paid subscriber base of 512,000, including 4,000 university subscribers, as of June 30, 2006. Excluding college subscriptions, which slow in the summer, paid subscribers grew 26% year over year in the June quarter.Gene Munster, a senior research analyst with Piper Jaffray, says that companies in three different areas are likely Napster shoppers. "The most logical is service providers, because music on phones is an emerging trend, and the service providers are trying to get up to speed quickly," says Munster, who has an outperform rating on the stock and whose firm makes a market in Napster. Just last month, Nokia (NOK) picked up Loudeye (LOUD), giving the company the ability to sell music downloads to its customers, and Napster
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV