Street Applauds Adobe Systems
Investors seemed to be following their advice. In recent trading, Adobe's stock was up $4.01, or 11.9%, to $37.66 on trading that was already more than three times the stock's normal daily average. Earlier in the session, Adobe's stock was up as much as $4.54 to $38.19.
On Thursday, Adobe reported that third-quarter profit plunged 35% from the year-ago period. But the falloff was largely due to acquisition and stock-options costs that didn't weigh on the company's results last year.
Setting those aside, Adobe's results topped expectations. Additionally, the Photoshop publisher gave guidance for the fourth quarter that essentially met analysts' growth targets.
In the quarter ended Sept. 1, Adobe earned $94.4 million, or 16 cents a share. In contrast, the company earned $144.9 million, or 29 cents a share, in the year-ago period.Thanks in part to the company's acquisition of Macromedia -- whose results weren't included in the year-ago results -- Adobe's sales jumped 21.7% to $579.2 million. Excluding options, amortization and certain other costs, Adobe would have earned 29 cents a share, compared with 31 cents a share last year. On this basis, analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting the company to earn 26 cents a share on sales of $595.1 million. Adobe's
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV