Street Applauds Adobe Systems
Investors seemed to be following their advice. In recent trading, Adobe's stock was up $4.01, or 11.9%, to $37.66 on trading that was already more than three times the stock's normal daily average. Earlier in the session, Adobe's stock was up as much as $4.54 to $38.19.
On Thursday, Adobe reported that third-quarter profit plunged 35% from the year-ago period. But the falloff was largely due to acquisition and stock-options costs that didn't weigh on the company's results last year.
Setting those aside, Adobe's results topped expectations. Additionally, the Photoshop publisher gave guidance for the fourth quarter that essentially met analysts' growth targets.
In the quarter ended Sept. 1, Adobe earned $94.4 million, or 16 cents a share. In contrast, the company earned $144.9 million, or 29 cents a share, in the year-ago period.Thanks in part to the company's acquisition of Macromedia -- whose results weren't included in the year-ago results -- Adobe's sales jumped 21.7% to $579.2 million. Excluding options, amortization and certain other costs, Adobe would have earned 29 cents a share, compared with 31 cents a share last year. On this basis, analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting the company to earn 26 cents a share on sales of $595.1 million. Adobe's guidance, which the company reaffirmed in August, called for earnings of 13 cents to 16 cents a share -- 25 cents to 27 cents, excluding options and acquisition costs -- on sales ranging from $580 million to $610 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV