Microsoft Rolls Out Zune
The Zune will be on store shelves in time for the holiday shopping season and will come preloaded with a selection of music and videos, Microsoft said in a press release Thursday. The Zune will feature wireless technology and an FM tuner, and it will come in three colors: black, white and brown.
The Zune will be manufactured by Toshiba.
In contrast, Apple's 30-GB iPod has a 2.5-inch screen and doesn't come with either an FM tuner or a wireless antenna. Users can, however, buy an FM tuner add-on for the iPod. And the company offers customers the choice of some six other iPod models.The details of the Zune were no surprise; Toshiba let the cat out of the bag last month in a filing with the Federal Communications Commission. Less clear, though, is the business model. Apple, which dominates the world of portable digital music, makes little or no money selling music on iTunes, but the iPod itself is very profitable. Microsoft did not disclose a price for the new device, but said it will sell music and videos via the Zune Marketplace. Customers will have the option of downloading and paying for individual tracks or purchasing a subscription.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV