Apple Closer to the Living Room
Even with the support, Apple will have little more than 75 movies available for download at first.
At the event, Jobs compared the launch of the movie service with the initiation last year of a related service that allows customers to download television shows. That service also began with the support of just Disney and only five shows.
Apple now offers 220 shows from all the major networks.
"We'll be adding more [movies] every week and every month," Jobs said.Still, the lack of support from other studios at the launch of the movie service was a disappointment, especially given that Amazon.com (AMZN) launched a rival service last week with support from five of the top six movie companies. Amazon, it should be added, does not yet offer downloads of Disney movies. Jobs also unveiled updates to each of the company's three lines of iPod music players. But the updates were relatively sedate compared with rumors that have been bandied about concerning what the company has in the works. In other words, Apple didn't announce a new music-playing cell phone, didn't introduce a full-screen iPod and didn't introduce a model with built-in wireless networking. Instead, the company increased the storage on some models, cut prices on some, added colored cases to its nano line and tweaked the iPod's underlying software.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV