Fox Aims at Fantasy Crowd
Fantasy sports are serious business for media and Internet companies. Fantasy football, the game in which people choose teams of NFL players and are awarded points based on their performance, is one of the most popular activities on the Web. Gamers also are an attractive demographic for advertisers because they need to spend time online researching the NFL.
"It's a perfect cross-sell," says Chris Young, vice president for rich media at the online advertising company DoubleClick. "The MySpace demographic profile is playing perfectly in the fantasy football demo."
News Corp. is getting plenty of help promoting MySpace, which has yet to turn a profit. Google (GOOG) agreed last month to pay Fox $900 million to become the search provider for the site. Google also has a right of first refusal on display advertising sold through third parties on Fox Interactive Media's network.
Though MySpace's ad sales are expected to be a modest $180 million this year, they will rise to more than $1 billion by 2010, according to an estimate by the research firm eMarketer.Shares of News Corp., up more than 17% this year, rose about 16 cents to $19.54, on Friday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV