TheStreet.com Ratings: Country Fund Favorite
Exchange-traded funds have recently become the favorites of the fund world. But investors should not forget that closed-end funds can offer the same performance figures, if not better.
TheStreet.com Ratings uses proprietary quantitative models to generate ratings on approximately 470 closed-end funds and 130 ETFs. Over a number of years, the output from our models has consistently shown that foreign/international funds have been among the top performers in either category. A subset of these foreign funds are the so-called country funds, which are distinguished by their specific focus on a particular country, as opposed to a region.
My pick among the top-ranked closed-end country funds is the Mexico Equity & Income Fund (MXE). Its returns are outstanding: year to date it has achieved 30.26%, over one year it has returned 57.95%, and its three-year record is 45.97%. The fund's sponsor is Phicardo Asset Management, and Gerald Hellerman is its manager.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV