Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Jos. A. Bank (JOSB) rose after beating second-quarter estimates and guiding in line for the rest of the year. The clothing retailer made $7 million, or 38 cents a share, for the quarter ended July 30, up from the year-ago $5.3 million, or 30 cents a share. Sales rose to $119.1 million from $98.6 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial were looking for a 35-cent profit on sales of $116 million. The company said it expects to make $2.15 a share for the year, up 10% from a year ago and in line with expectations. Shares gained 7.9% to $25.96.
Sterling Construction (STRL) was higher after the company was upgraded by Morgan Joseph to buy from hold. Shares were up 7.9% to $19.97.
Pike Electric (PEC) advanced after the provider of outsourced electric distribution and transmission services swung to a fourth-quarter profit. The company earned $3 million, or 9 cents a share, compared with a loss of $14 million, or 65 cents a share, a year ago. The prior-year numbers included a $16.2 million charge. Revenue increased just under 1% to $156.1 million. Analysts were looking for the company to post earnings of 7 cents a share. Shares climbed 3.2% to $17.08.
Powell Industries (POWL) slipped after the electrical-equipment company saw a drop in third-quarter earnings. The company posted earnings of $1.8 million, or 16 cents a share, down from $2.1 million, or 19 cents a share, a year ago. The most recent quarter includes charges of 10 cents a share. Revenue totaled $104 million, up from $66.9 million last year. The company said it expects fourth-quarter earnings to range between 12 cents and 17 cents a share and full-year earnings to range between 75 cents and 80 cents a share. Revenue is expected to be $325 million to $350 million. Shares fell 9.4% to $19.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV