PlayStation Delay Dings Gamers
Assuming that Sony is able to work through its manufacturing problems and get PlayStation 3 production going full bore, the near-term problems likely won't affect overall sales of the console or games for it, analysts say. But some analysts do believe that the manufacturing problems could be a long-term issue.
"If it becomes a recurring theme that they are having trouble supplying blue laser diode, that is a problem," says Michael Goodman, an analyst with Yankee Group.
But other analysts are less concerned about that. Other factors -- such as which games are available for the PlayStation 3 and whether Microsoft is able to broaden the appeal of the Xbox 360 beyond the hard-core gamer contingent to mainstream consumers -- will likely matter more to the PlayStation 3's long-term success than how many consoles Sony ships in the first few months, analysts say.
"I don't think [the delay and shipment cut] makes that big of a difference," says the hedge fund analyst, who is long Nintendo, but has no position in Sony. "I'm more interested to see what titles they have."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV