PlayStation Delay Dings Gamers
Assuming that Sony is able to work through its manufacturing problems and get PlayStation 3 production going full bore, the near-term problems likely won't affect overall sales of the console or games for it, analysts say. But some analysts do believe that the manufacturing problems could be a long-term issue.
"If it becomes a recurring theme that they are having trouble supplying blue laser diode, that is a problem," says Michael Goodman, an analyst with Yankee Group.
But other analysts are less concerned about that. Other factors -- such as which games are available for the PlayStation 3 and whether Microsoft is able to broaden the appeal of the Xbox 360 beyond the hard-core gamer contingent to mainstream consumers -- will likely matter more to the PlayStation 3's long-term success than how many consoles Sony ships in the first few months, analysts say.
"I don't think
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV