Apple Retools iMac Line
Updated from 12:22 p.m. EDT
Apple announced on Wednesday that it is replacing the Core Duo chips within its iMac line of consumer desktops with Intel's
Additionally, the company introduced new top-end and low-end iMac models and essentially cut prices on the two previous versions of the all-in-one computer. The base prices for the line now range from about $1,000 to $2,000.As it did with the previous iMacs, the company appears to be using laptop versions of Intel's chips. The chips within the computers range in speed from 1.83 GHz on the entry level model to 2.16 GHz for the top two versions. Those correspond to the chip speeds available on Intel's notebook processors, but not its desktop ones. Interestingly, Apple chose not to incorporate Intel's top end Core 2 Duo processor, which runs at 2.33 GHz, in the standard configurations. That chip is available as an option on the top two iMac models. The new high-end iMac, which carries a price tag of $1,999, includes not only the 2.16 GHz chip but 1GB of SDRAM, a 250GB hard drive and an Nvidia (NVDA) GeForce 7300 graphics chip with 128MB of dedicated graphics memory. The 24-inch screen is the largest one Apple has ever offered on the iMac line.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV