Google Rolls Out News Search
Google News Archive will also offer access to the U.K.'s Guardian newspaper as well as Time Warner's (TWX) Time magazine. Articles from news retrieval services including Lexis Nexis and Factiva also will be available.
"Users can search for events, people, ideas and see how they have been described over time,'' Google says. "In addition to searching for the most relevant articles for their query, users can get an historical overview of the results by browsing an automatically created timeline.''
Like most Google services that the company hypes through the media, it probably won't have a meaningful impact on the company's bottom line. The company's stock didn't react to the news. Its shares fell $1.86 to $382.50 in premarket trading.
Nonetheless, Google News Archive may offer some hints about the company's strategic direction. The company's ambitions are clearly to be more than just a search engine. Earlier, there were indications that Google was trying to make itself into a portal like its rival Yahoo! (YHOO). The company even launched services like Google News and Google Finance that compete directly with some of Yahoo!'s most popular features. But now, the picture isn't so clear.Search Engine Watch, a Web site that follows the search industry, reports that Google doesn't plan to become a content aggregator or to even allow people to buy content from the news archives through their Google accounts. It's also not apparent how Google will make money from this feature. "We're not focusing on monetization yet," Anurag Acharya, a Google engineer who helped develop the service, tells The New York Times. "This is new territory for us."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV