Rising Tide at eBay
Wall Street continues to have questions about Amazon because of its narrow profit margins and its rising costs for services such as free shipping. Some Amazon moves have puzzled observers, including its move into the highly competitive grocery business. But there is some hope that Amazon's expected move into digital media will bolster growth at the Seattle-based company.
Despite the improved share performance, it's unlikely that investors will abandon their preference for Internet media.
IAC has only six analysts rating it a buy. Amazon has three, and eBay 16. To compare, Yahoo! has 24 buy ratings and Google has 31, according to data on Bloomberg.
"You are taking about a highly competitive, low-margin business," says Chervitz of Internet retailing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV