Rising Tide at eBay
"We might see strong holiday sales from these two names in particular," says Tim Ghriskey, chief investment officer of Solaris Capital Management, who follows the Internet sector, referring to Amazon and eBay. "Internet retailers should continue to gain market share."
Still, Ghriskey, who manages more than $1 billion, says these stocks may face some tax-loss selling in September and October.
IAC shares have been boosted by a better-than-expected second quarter and bullish comments Chairman Barry Diller has made about the struggling HSN business.eBay, the largest Internet auction site, has gotten positive attention from its advertising partnerships with both Google and Yahoo!. Google's online payment system, which analysts say posses a threat to eBay's PayPal business, also has been hurt by technical glitches that have annoyed some retailers. At eBay, "People are hoping that the bar has been set low enough that they make their number this quarter," says Mike Binger, who helps manage $1.5 billion for Thrivent Financial, including shares of the largest Internet auction site. "If they do, the stock is probably in the low $30s." eBay rose 53 cents Tuesday to $28.68.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV