Tread Carefully With New Treasury ETFs
Ameristock, manager of the very successful (AMSTX) Ameristock fund, is moving further into the exchange-traded fund space.
Earlier this year, Ameristock made headlines by launching the U.S Oil (USO) fund, the first ETF to track the commodity. Now, Ameristock has filed to roll out fixed-income ETFs based on Treasuries with different maturities.
There will be five separate ETFs, with the funds based on Treasuries with one-year, two-year, five-year, 10-year and 20-year maturities. All of the funds are expected to have a 0.15% expense ratio.
Barclays, the bank behind iShares ETFs, offers several bond ETFs. But instead of targeting a specific maturity, the iShares funds -- iShares Lehman 1-3 Year Treasury (SHY), iShares Lehman 7-10 Year Treasury (IEF) and the iShares Lehman 20+ year Treasury Bond (TLT) -- target a range of time.Ameristock's new bond ETFs will be more of a benefit to people who trade actively, or to institutional managers, who now will have a fast and easy way to more narrowly manage duration, make short-term directional bets on interest rates, and quickly reallocate the makeup of their bond portfolios. Unfortunately, these funds may not be right for do-it-yourself investors looking for steady income. According to the Ameristock
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV