"Brands want to be there,'' says Ari Paparo, vice president of rich media for DoubleClick, an online advertising company that counts AOL as a client. "There is no doubt it.''
Advertisers are still leery about blogs and other so-called user-generated content since their quality can be poor. AOL has tried to address these concerns by having its bloggers adhere to ethical standards and have their posts subject to editing.
Still, AOL has seen some success. Its
The online journals may help AOL lure in more users as it reinvents itself from a subscription business to one dependent on advertising, a move that analysts and investors say is overdue. Blogs alone aren't going to be enough to lure more users to AOL from rival sites, including Google (GOOG), Yahoo! (YHOO) and Microsoft's (MSFT) MSN. Media habits are difficult to change once they've been established.Time Warner, parent of CNN and Warner Bros., expects to save $1 billion through next year as it quits marketing AOL's fading dial-up access. It's also cutting 5,000 jobs at the unit, which showed an anemic 2% revenue gain in the second quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV