Thursday's Financial Winners & Losers
BNP Residential Properties (BNP) surged after the North Carolina-based REIT agreed to be acquired by Australia's Babcock & Brown for $316 million.
Babcock & Brown will pay $24 a share for BNP, a 39% premium over Wednesday's closing price of $17.24. Babcock & Brown also will assume or refinance $450 million of the real estate investment trust's debt. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter. Shares climbed $6.41, or 37.18%, to $23.65.
Assurant (AIZ) gained after the New York-based insurer said it will sell its equity interest in Private Health Care Systems to MultiPlan, a New York health care financial-risk manager, for about $150 million. The sale is expected to close by the end of the year. Shares gained 61 cents, or 1.20%, to $51.50.SWS Group (SWS) lost ground after the Dallas-based brokerage posted relatively flat fourth-quarter earnings. The company earned $5.4 million, or 30 cents a share, compared to earnings of $5.3 million, or 30 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Revenue rose to $100.6 million from $92.1 million. Shares dropped 99 cents, or 3.89%, to $24.46. BankFinancial (BFIN) gained after the Burr Ridge, Ill.-based savings and loan said its board had authorized the repurchase of up to 2.4 million shares, which represents 10% of the company's outstanding stock. Shares gained 38 cents, or 2.23%, to $17.45. NGP Capital Resources (NGPC) gained after Matrix Research initiated coverage of the Houston-based principal investment firm with a buy rating. Shares gained 45 cents, or 3.30%, to $14.10.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV