Recession-Proof Your Portfolio
This column was originally published on RealMoney on Aug. 30 at 2:32 p.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
The debate about whether the stock market is going to buckle under the weight of an "imminent" recession seems to have intensified recently.
A reasonable reaction to take with your portfolio might be to sell everything and wait it out. Of course, the worst-case consequence of waiting it out with nothing but cash is that you are wrong and the market skyrockets without you.
I thought it worthwhile to explore a few things that might do well regardless of the U.S. economic cycle, beyond the standard recommendations of health care and staples stocks, although both those areas have merit. In searching out some ideas, I am looking for yield, low volatility, and a low correlation to the U.S. stock market.
Aussie and Swiss SolutionI have in the past written about some stocks or funds that have these attributes. One
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV