Yahoo! Holds Off on Phone Ads
"It doesn't hurt to experiment with it," says Darren Chervitz of Jacob Asset Management, which owns shares of Yahoo! among $70 million under management. "Over time, it will occupy a decent niche, but I don't think it's going to revolutionize the search business."
Still, some online merchants have found click-to-call useful -- particularly on transactions involving high-end items. Consumers typically have a lot of questions before they make such purchases, says Craig Smith, who runs Trinity Insights, an e-commerce consulting firm based on Conshohocken, Pa., outside Philadelphia.
"When it's a straightforward purchase, it doesn't make sense," he says.
Click-to-call is the latest in a long line of potential bright spots that bullish investors hope will boost the lackluster performance of the Internet sector. Shares of Yahoo! are down 26% this year, and eBay is off 37%. Even Google is weak, down 9% after doubling in both 2004 and 2005."It's premature for people to get excited about click-to-call-related announcements," says Standard & Poor's analyst Scott Kessler, who rates Yahoo! a hold, in an interview.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV