Fresh M&A Wave May Wash Over Gulf E&P
While Hurricane Ernesto's strong winds don't appear headed to the Gulf of Mexico, another sort of wind blew into the exploration business Monday, a strong merger wind.
In a move that surprised just about everyone, Woodside Petroleum, an Australian-based firm with interests in the Gulf, offered $23 to $24 per share for control of Energy Partners (EPL), a New Orleans exploration and production business with strong ties to the Gulf of Mexico.
The offer is certainly intriguing to Energy Partner shareholders, who would realize a 33%-plus premium based on Friday's close. And the deal should be intriguing to the company's directors, sans one minor detail: The company is in the final stages of completing its own merger, purchasing Stone Energy (SGY), another exploration company with a focus on the Gulf of Mexico.
Therein lies the rub. Woodside consummating a marriage with Energy Partners would require EPL to leave Stone at the altar, literally. Woodside has conditioned its offer on Energy Partners' rejection of the Stone merger.
Stone-Cold ShoulderEnergy Partners' decision to bid for Stone did not come lightly. In fact, Stone was in the process of working through a merger with Plains Exploration (PXP) when Energy Partners came a-calling. Stone considered both deals carefully, and only after EPL agreed to front the $43 million-plus breakup fee due Plains did Stone agree to walk down the aisle with Energy Partners.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV