Corcept Therapeutics Crushed
Corcept Therapeutics (CORT) shares plummeted Friday after the company announced negative results from a clinical trial on its experimental psychotic depression drug Corlux.
The stock plunged 70% in premarket trading to $1.05. The results, which came from one of three phase III trials involving a condition known as psychotic major depression, showed that 30.5% of patients receiving Corlux and 28.6% of those getting the placebo responded to treatment.
"There was an unusually high placebo response rate in this trial," says Dr. Robert L. Roe, Corcept's president. Roe says that at day 56 of the trial, around 80% of patients receiving the drug and patients taking a placebo saw a 50% improvement in psychopathology measures.
"While we are of course disappointed by these results, we have two other phase III trials under way," Dr. Joseph K. Belanoff, Corcept's CEO, said in a prepared statement. Results from one of the studies are due out next month.Corcept Chief Financial Officer Fred Kurland says the company's cash position allows it to complete the two remaining phase III trials. Phase III is the stage of trials conducted just before a drug is submitted to the Food and Drug Administration for marketing approval.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV