How to Value Biotech Stocks
Trying to value biotech stocks, particularly those with no products on the market, isn't easy.
Consider, for example, that in this sector, in order to achieve an earnings multiple on which to base buy and sell recommendations, forecasting models often need to be extended out four or five years.
Imagine attempting to engage in the same exercise with retailers, like Costco (COST), or tech companies, like Dell. Predicting what sales and earnings will be for this fiscal year is difficult enough without having to start worrying about 2010 or 2011.
Now add variables such as safety issues, efficacy, competition and the small matter of not knowing if a drug will even be approved and make it to market, and you can see how difficult it is to determine the proper valuation for a biotech stock, particularly one with no current earnings.Nevertheless, investors love the sector because of the potential rewards. Those who bought Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN) in June of last year have already tripled their money as diabetes drug Byetta fueled enthusiasm for the stock, and long-term holders of companies like Genentech (DNA) have indeed been nicely rewarded.
How It's DoneIf you want to do your own research, the skills and time required are substantial. Simply knowing about a particular drug that will meet an unsatisfied need is not enough. For our purposes, we'll assume the company we're examining doesn't have a product on the market yet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV