Thursday's Early Winners & Losers
Updated from 8:43 a.m. EDT
Coldwater Creek (CWTR) advanced after the specialty retailer said second-quarter earnings nearly doubled. Sales and profits both topped Wall Street's estimates. Shares were trading up 10.3% to $27.72.
Nordson (NDSN) stumbled after the company warned of flat sales in the fourth quarter. Third-quarter earnings rose year over year. Nordson's stock was dropping 7.7% to $40.Patterson (PDCO) saw its shares slide after it reduced its fiscal 2007 earnings guidance by 3 cents to a range of $1.58 to $1.61 a share. After factoring in stock-compensation expenses, earnings will probably be $1.54 to $1.57 a share. Patterson dropped 6.5% to $30.74. Chico's FAS (CHS) slumped following its warning that it's facing a sales slowdown. The retailer lowered its earnings expectations for the next four quarters, sending its shares down 17% to $20. At Convera (CNVR), the stock sank 13.9% to $5.26 in the wake of its announcement that revenue for the second quarter plunged 58% from a year ago. The company posted a loss for the three-month period of $11.1 million, or 21 cents a share. ArthroCare (ARTC) lost ground following word from the medical-equipment maker that the Securities and Exchange Commission wants information related to the company's stock option grants. ArthroCare has said it hasn't found any evidence of backdating, but added that it will cooperate fully with the SEC's request. Shares were falling 3.1% to $42.99. Among other early movers, Isonics (ISON) was up 14.6% to $1.18, Lipid Sciences (LIPD) rose 14.1% to $1.70, Cell Therapeutics (CTIC) was gaining 10% to $1.75 and Rambus (RMBS) rose 5.4% to $13.90. Almaden Minerals (AAU) was losing 7.2% to $2.57 and eBay (EBAY) was down 2.6% to $26.31.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV