Apple, Creative Tech Settle Patent Dispute
Updated from 6:48 p.m. EDT
Under a deal announced on Wednesday, Apple will pay Creative $100 million to license its patent on MP3-player-interface software. The deal comes three months after Creative
"Creative is very fortunate to have been granted this early patent," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in a statement. "This settlement ... removes the uncertainty and distraction of prolonged litigation.""We're very pleased to have reached an amicable settlement with Apple and to have opened up significant new opportunities for Creative," said Sim Wong Hoo, the company's CEO, in the statement. Shares of Creative spiked on the news. In after-hours exchanges, the company's stock was up $1.76, or 29%, to $7.77. Apple's stock was off 9 cents, or about 0.1%, to $67.22 after the bell. In its complaints, Creative had alleged that before Apple launched the iPod it had talked with Creative about an MP3 player partnership. In those discussions, Creative showed off to Apple the interface it used on its digital music players, which helps users organize and navigate songs. Creative alleged that Apple copied that interface when it launched its iPod line.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV