Wednesday's ETF Winners & Losers
ETFs tracking homebuilders were the weakest performers Wednesday after the National Association of Realtors said existing homes sold at a 6.33 million annual clip last month. That was down 4.1% from 6.62 million a month earlier. Following the report, the Philadelphia Housing Sector Index was falling by 1.3%.
The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) ETF was losing 85 cents, or 2.4%, to $34.31. The SPDR Homebuilders (XHB) ETF was giving back 67 cents, or 2.2%, to $30.50, and the PowerShares Dynamic Building & Construction (PKB) ETF was recently down 26 cents, or 1.8%, to $14.46.
ETFs related to crude and energy were also among the day's biggest decliners. Crude oil for October delivery dropped after the Energy Department said U.S. crude inventories fell by a smaller-than-expected 600,000 barrels. Meanwhile, gasoline inventories unexpectedly rose by 400,000 barrels.
The Energy Select Sector SPDR (XLE) ETF sank 1.6% to $57.34, the PowerShares Dynamic Energy Exploration (PXE) ETF was recently lower by 1.4% to $19.27, and the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Oil Equipment Index (IEZ) ETF slid 1.4% to $44.90.After National Semiconductor (NSM) cut its quarterly sales forecast late Tuesday, semiconductor-tracking ETFs fell. The PowerShares Dynamic Semiconductors (PSI) ETF was off 10 cents, or 0.6% to $16.14, and the SPDR Semiconductor (XSD) ETF were recently lower by 25 cents, or 0.5% to $45.44. Meanwhile, the iShares Silver Trust (SLV) ETF was Wednesday's biggest winner, recently gaining $2.17, or 1.8%, to $125.12, as the price of silver climbed. The PowerShares Lux Nanotech (PXN) ETF was another of the gainers, thanks to a 9.6% rise in major holding NVE Corp. (NVEC). The ETF was higher by 9 cents, or 0.5%, to $17.04.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV