Cowen Gets Buy Calls
Boutique investment bank Cowen (COWN) got a modest boost Tuesday after two Wall Street firms started coverage with buy ratings.
Merrill Lynch research analyst Guy Moszkowski started coverage of Cowen with a buy rating, setting a price target of $18 a share. Sandler O'Neill also initiated coverage with a buy rating on the stock.
Shares of Cowen rose 13 cents to $14.32. The stock has lost 10% of its value since its initial public offering last month. Cowen priced shares at $16 apiece after setting an expected range of $19 to $21 a share.
"Market conditions have driven shares lower from an already low IPO price ... and Cowen is trading at a significant discount to [its] competitors," Moszkowski said in the report. "This has provided an attractive entry point, in our view."Cowen's shares are trading at a discount to its competitors, according to Moszkowski's estimates. At Tuesday's price, Cowen shares fetch 12 times next year's estimated earnings. Piper Jaffrey (PJC) trades at 17.8 times earnings, and Thomas Weisel (TWPG) is at 12.9 times. But Cowen makes about 50% of its revenue from investment banking services and the other half mostly from sales and trading. The bank mainly advises deals and assists trading in equities, which doesn't bode well if the stock market slows.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV