Pedal to the Metal
|Life in the Fast Lane|
There are dozens of driving schools across the U.S. that provide a hands-on race-car experience.
This growing trend attracts both racing enthusiasts and aspiring professional race-car drivers -- even everyday people hoping to improve their defensive driving skills.
And a few laps on a famous course is becoming a popular high-end gift.
Every conceivable type of car, from NASCAR and Grand Prix to dragsters and go-carts, has its associated school.
Auto manufacturers such as BMW and Audi have high-performance programs, and racing stars such as Mario Andretti and Richard Petty are often enlisted to bring in the students.
Some schools provide their own track, while others use existing raceways like
Days of ThunderA typical course holds classroom sessions in the morning, then it's off to the track in the afternoon, to learn control, braking and driving fundamentals. Sometimes the instructor is in the seat next to you, guiding you through a helmet-to-helmet communication device. Or you may follow the instructor, who's driving another race car or a pace car. As you get more experienced, you may even participate in "dog fights" by lapping other racers. For the less adventurous, almost all schools offer ride-alongs, where you'll ride shotgun as the driver powers through laps at over 180 mph. These ride-alongs can be found at almost every major speedway event and are a cheap and noncommittal way to see if you can take the speed. Several carmakers also offer high-performance skills classes. For example, both the
|Satisfy the Need for Speed|
Your Own Le MansMany popular NASCAR race schools, such as
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV