Amazon Download Debut
Amazon (AMZN) may be giving a sneak peek at its plans for digital media.
The largest e-tailer has what appears to be a test page for a video download service on its Web site. The service, called Lumiere, is named after the early cinema pioneers Auguste and Louis Lumiere.
It lists film download prices ranging from $7.36 for Swordfish to $13.76 for Syriana. Episodes for television shows such as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are priced at $1.99, matching Apple's (APPL) iTunes site.
There have been media reports for months saying that Seattle-based Amazon plans to take on Apple's hugely popular site. Earlier, there was speculation that Amazon would also offer music downloads, but Lumiere only features video.A company spokesman declined to comment on the Lumiere page, which had been previously reported by the blog Hacking Netflix. "I have no way of knowing the authenticity of that image,'' says Sean Sundwall, a spokesman for Seattle-based Amazon, in an email. "As far as the rumored video service, we don't comment on speculation or rumor.'' Amazon has set up a recruiting Web site for its Digital Media Technology Group that seeks people to "define Amazon's growth in new digital businesses across books, magazines, music, video and other categories.'' Digital media is one of the few potential bright spots for Amazon, whose shares have tumbled 39% this year amid concerns about rising costs and increased competition. It also seems more sensible than other recent Amazon moves, such as its decision to enter the low-margin grocery business. Amazon already is one of the largest sellers of DVDs and owns IMDB, a popular site for film information.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV