Yahoo! Gets Citi Nod
Yahoo! (YHOO), whose shares have slumped 12% since it announced last month that upgrades to its search engine would be delayed, should be able to be able to start the project as planned in the fourth quarter, says Mark Mahaney, an analyst with Citigroup.
Wall Street expects the overhaul -- dubbed Project Panama -- to improve the profitability of Yahoo!'s search business, which lags behind leader Google (GOOG). Yahoo!, which entered search through its 2003 acquisition of Overture, originally anticipated starting Project Panama in the current quarter.
"So, can Yahoo! deliver against its new deadline?" write Mahaney in a note to clients Thursday. "Based on numerous discussions with advertisers, search engine marketers, and company executives, we believe that the answer is a probable yes."
Mahaney, who rates Yahoo! as a buy, is urging investors to be patient, arguing that Project Panama is a difficult undertaking. His firm has received compensation from Yahoo! for both investment banking and noninvestment banking services in the past 12 months."Yahoo! has been trying to overhaul an older search engine that it acquired and that currently supports 300,000+ advertisers, without disrupting those advertisers' existing marketing plans," he writes. "We believe that Yahoo! over time lost many of the key Overture engineers, and this hurt them when it came time for the overhaul."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV