Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Pep Boys (PBY) rose after the car parts and service chain reported second-quarter earnings from continuing operations of $1.5 million, or 3 cents a share, compared with $832,000, or 1 cent a share, a year ago. Revenue rose slightly to $578.6 million. Analysts were looking for earnings of 2 cents a share on revenue of $580.8 million. Shares rose 68 cents, or 6.9%, to $10.49.
Bioenvision (BIVN) surged after Prudential initiated coverage of the biopharmaceutical company with an overweight rating. Shares gained 54 cents, or 12.3%, to $4.92.
ABM Industries (ABM) rose after the company settled its World Trade Center-related litigation with Zurich American Insurance for $80 million. ABM, which provides janitorial, parking and security services, will receive a payment that will increase its fourth-quarter net income by about $45 million, or 90 cents a share. ABM gained 91 cents, or 5.4%, to $17.87.
Analyst actions were also moving some stocks including, Universal Stainless & Alloy Products (USAP), recently up more than 7% following an upgrade by CL King, and Meridian Bioscience (VIVO), higher by 4.5% following an upgrade by Hilliard Lyons.MGP Ingredients (MGPI) slipped after its fourth-quarter earnings missed analysts' expectations. The maker of food ingredients and distillery products earned $7.4 million, or 43 cents a share, but analysts were looking for earnings of 46 cents a share. Sales rose 22% to $90.3 million. Shares fell 85 cents, or 4.5%, to $18.10 recently. Global Imaging Systems (GISX) fell 8 cents, or 0.4%, to $21.34 after splitting its stock 2 for 1. Casella Waste Systems (CWST) fell after the company forecast a first-quarter loss compared with the profit Wall Street was expecting. The company expects to release its results on Sept. 6. Shares dropped $1.87, or 13.7%, to $11.77.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV