Shares of Shanda (SNDA) rose in after-hours trading after the Chinese interactive media company reported better-than expected second-quarter results.
Shanda made $16.7 million, or 24 cents a share, on revenue of $50.7 million. Analysts were expecting earnings of 6 cents a share on sales of $42.8 million, according to Thomson Financial.
The company's business that includes role-playing computer games was up 36%, compared with the single-digit percentage growth analysts had expected, says Ming Zhao, an analyst with Susquehanna Financial Group who has a neutral rating on the shares.
``They have managed their costs very efficiently,'' he says.Shanda rose $1.10, or 7%, to $17.65.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV