TechWeek: Microsoft Searches for Traction
The search team has worked closely with the Windows Live Search and Windows Desktop Search team, and the fruit of that collaboration will begin to become apparent when Vista, the new version of Windows, and Office 2007, go public.
One of the major gripes that users have with Microsoft's existing search is that it doesn't do a good job finding anything that isn't part of a Word document. Indeed, until fairly recently, it wasn't possible to search emails, PDF Web pages and other file types at all using Windows. That capability is built into the Windows Desktop search tool, but still leaves a lot to be desired.
"We've been focusing on people's ability to find things they've seen before," said Dumais. Vista and Office will have richer search capabilities built in, and they'll be much easier to use. Search boxes, she says, will become ubiquitous. Users don't want to jump from application to application when they need to search, she says.
Vista will do a much better job of indexing across different types of files, including photos. (Vista won't search on the image, however. It will allow users to add information to the photo file that can be searched on later.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV