TechWeek: Microsoft Searches for Traction
Collecting that type of information means collecting millions upon millions of data points and then analyzing them using very high-powered computers and machine-learning techniques. (Machine learning is the study of computer algorithms that improve automatically through experience.)
One of the papers presented in Seattle focuses on the ranking of search results. Search engines typically display results by date, which may or may not be useful. So, Dumais is looking for ways to teach a search engine to take into account previous Web or desktop searches. Even better might be a search engine that examines content already indexed on a user's PC and returns results with that in "mind."
A major drawback of existing searches is the inability of the engines to incorporate much information in a query. Dumais says "users know a lot about what they are looking for. Searches should take a much richer context into account." That will change in the future, she says.
Unlike pure research labs at old-style tech companies, Microsoft's research arm works closely with product groups. In January, the company formed LiveLabs, a partnership of Microsoft Research and MSN, designed to move ideas about search from the labs to the marketplace. The head of LiveLabs now reports directly to Chief Software Architect Ray Ozzie, a sign of the company's heavy emphasis on search.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV