MLS Makes Bid for Relevance
Real Salt Lake's owner is Dave Checketts, a former general manager of the New York Knicks and a partner in a National Hockey League team in St. Louis. Checketts has said he would sell the MLS franchise or move the team to another state if Utah officials fail to make a new offer by Saturday.
Despite the questions raised in Salt Lake, Garber is bullish about the league's financial future and its ability to attract millions of fans of soccer in America.
Garber said millions of American viewers watched this summer's World Cup in Germany on three broadcast outlets -- ESPN, owned by Disney (DIS), Univision (UVN), and Fox, owned by owned by News Corp. (NEWS) -- "and we've got to figure out a way to capitalize" on that audience reach.
That potential has so far eluded the MLS. Over the past decade, average attendance at MLS games has dropped, from 17,400 a game in 1996 to 15,100 in 2005.Last Friday, ESPN announced a new eight-year deal for broadcast rights to MLS games, the first time a network had agreed to pay for the rights to MLS games, Garber said. John Skipper, the senior vice president and general manager of ESPN.com, declined to say what ESPN paid for the MLS broadcast rights, but "it's in the million and millions of dollars."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV