National Interstate Earnings Rise
National Interstate (NATL) rose 6% Wednesday after posting a 29% rise in second-quarter earnings.
The Richfield, Ohio-based insurance company earned $9 million, or 47 cents a share, in the quarter, compared with $7 million, or 36 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 44 cents a share in the most recent quarter.
Second-quarter revenue rose 14.4% from a year ago to $57.4 million, as against analysts' expectation of $58.2 million. Premium earned increased 12.9% to $52.4 million and net investment income jumped 36.2% to $4.3 million.
Losses and loss adjustment expenses increased 9.8% to $30.4 million while losses and loss adjustment expense ratio fell 160 basis points to 58.1%. Underwriting expense ratio decreased 20 basis points to 24.2% and combined ratio stood at 82.3%.The company's stock rose $1.39 to $24.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV