Monday's ETF Winners & Losers
ETFs related to oil services were higher after BP (BP) said it was stopping production at Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to repair a pipeline leak. The shutdown removes up to 400,000 barrels a day from the world's supply.
The S&P Oil & Gas Exploration & Production (XOP) ETF was gaining 13 cents, or 0.3%, to $39.87, the Oil Services HOLDRs (OIH) ETF was tacking on a penny at $140.06, and the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Oil Equipment Index (IEZ) was recently higher by 4 cents to $45.67.
A rise of nearly 1% in the price of gold supported the streetTRACKS Gold Shares (GLD) ETF, which was up 39 cents, or 0.6%, to $64.67, and the iShares COMEX Gold Trust (IAU), higher by 45 cents, or 0.7%, to $64.81.
Meanwhile, products tracking the semiconductor sector were lower after Prudential cut its earnings and revenue estimates for chipmaker Intel (INTC) on the belief that demand for the company's Core 2 Duo chip will be softer than expected.The PowerShares Dynamic Semiconductors (PSI) ETF was falling by 0.8% to $15.73, the iShares Goldman Sachs Semiconductor (IGW) ETF was down 0.8% to $54.92, and the Semiconductor HOLDRS (SMH) was losing 0.7% to $31.06. The B2B Internet HOLDRs (PSJ) ETF was another weak performer as holdings Ariba (ARBA) and Checkfree (CKFR) were off 2% or more. The B2B Internet HOLDRs was lower by 4 cents, or 2%, to $1.99.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV