Options Take Bigger Bite Out of Apple
And whether Jobs benefited from backdated options may be immaterial if federal regulators come calling. Regulators have indicated that they are focusing more on whether insiders defrauded investors in how they disclosed or accounted for backdated options than whether they profited from them.
For instance, the criminal charges federal officials recently filed against former executives at Brocade (BRCD) came despite the fact that neither of the executives was accused of benefiting from the backdating that led to the charges.
The companies caught up in the backdating scandal are accused of issuing to insiders options to buy company stock at prices that were known weeks or months after the fact to be near-term lows.
Although backdating by itself isn't necessarily against the law, investigators are trying to determine whether companies defrauded investors either by not properly disclosing backdated grants or by not accounting for them properly.Investors have blamed the recent selloff in technology stocks in part on the broader backdating probe and the constant trickle of new backdating allegations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV