Tuesday's Tech Winners & Losers
The price-target haircut was further bad news for eBay, which reported
For the third quarter, eBay said it expects to earn 22 or 23 cents a share for the third quarter on sales of $1.36 billion to $1.43 billion. Analysts had hoped for earnings of 24 cents a share on revenue of $1.43 billion, according to Thomson First Call. eBay shares fell 42 cents to $23.65 in recent trading.
And the sentiment on eBay likely influenced others in the Internet sector, such as online retailer Amazon.com (AMZN), which shed 3.5 % of its value in recent trading. Shares lost 95 cents to $25.94.
Altiris (ATRS), on the other hand, jumped 16 % after the software company reported better-than-expected second-quarter results. The company made $2.8 million, or 10 cents a share, compared with $4.6 million, or 16 cents a share, a year earlier. Excluding items, the company earned $7.3 million, or 25 cents a share, compared with the Street's estimate of 16 cents. Revenue grew 20% over a year ago to $55.6 million, beating analysts' target of $52.6 million. Altiris also said that its board authorized the repurchase of up to $50 million of its stock. Shares gained $2.76 to $20.02.The hammer fell on other tech stocks on Tuesday, sending Intel (INTC), down 44 cents to $17.56, Microsoft (MSFT), off 4 cents to $24.02, JDSU (JDSU), also down 4 cents to $2.10, Sun Microsystems (SUNW), down 15 cents to $4.20, Dell (DELL), off 9 cents to $21.59, Cisco Systems (CSCO), off 23 cents to $17.65, Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI), down 7 cents to $4.13, Applied Materials (AMAT), off 27 cents to $15.49, Apple Computer (AAPL), losing $1.39 to $66.57, Oracle (ORCL), down 24 cents to $14.73 and Yahoo! (symbol), also off 24 cents to $26.90.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV