PortalPlayer's Bottom Line Beats
Net income fell 78% at PortalPlayer (PLAY) in the second quarter, and would have been worse if not for a sizable tax credit and swelling interest income.
Additionally on Thursday, the company, which makes multimedia chips used in some of Apple Computer's (AAPL) iPods, announced that CEO Gary Johnson plans to resign by the end of the year. Johnson intends to pursue opportunities with private start-up companies.
Still, the news wasn't all bad. PortalPlayer's bottom line in the second quarter exceeded the Street's expectations, and the company said that it would again post better-than-expected results in the third quarter.
Investors appeared to focus on that upbeat news. In recent after-hours trading, the company's shares were up 61 cents, or 6.3%, to $10.35.In the just-completed quarter, PortalPlayer earned $1.4 million, or 5 cents a share. That was down from the year-ago period, when the company earned $6.3 million, or 25 cents a share. But the most recent results are a bit misleading. The company actually posted an operating loss of $1.7 million in the just-completed quarter. PortalPlayer only showed a bottom-line profit in the period thanks to $2.1 million in interest income and a $1 million tax credit. Sales fell 22% year over year to $34.6 million from $44.6 million. Also factoring into the company's profit drop were increased costs. Marketing and administrative costs jumped 38% from the second quarter last year, while research and development expenses rose 31%. PortalPlayer has been struggling since April, when the company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV