Big Fund Firms Post Mixed Results
Elsewhere, London-based Amvescap (AVZ) said its second-quarter profit totaled $117.4 million, or 15 cents a share, up from $71.3 million, or 9 cents a share, a year earlier.
Average assets under management reached $414.6 billion at the end of June, compared to $401.3 billion at the end of March, and up substantially from the $373.1 billion recorded in the second quarter of 2005.
And smaller money management firm W.P. Stewart (WPL) said its second-quarter net income fell to $9.6 million, or 21 cents a share, from $12.3 million, or 27 cents a share, in the previous year. Excluding a charge of 5 cents a share, earnings met analysts' mean estimate of 26 cents a share.
W.P. Stewart's assets under management at the end of June declined by about $900 million from March to $8.4 billion, compared with $8.8 billion a year earlier.The company also announced it will switch to a single-fee structure, with no charge for brokerage commissions. Shares were recently trading down $3.03, or 20%, to $12.28.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV