AMG Tops Forecasts
Affiliated Managers Group (AMG) posted better-than-expected second-quarter earnings Wednesday, despite a hairy quarter for equities markets that weighed on asset inflows.
The Boston-based asset management holding company also announced a share buyback plan of up to 5% of its outstanding common stock, a move that other money managers have been reluctant to make.
AMG's net income rose to $78.1 million, or 86 cents a share, from $26.2 million, or 63 cents a share, a year earlier.
Cash earnings, which exclude items such as amortization, rose to $1.30 a share from $1.13 in the same period last year. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were expecting cash earnings per share of $1.28.Revenue hit $283.1 million, up 36% from $208.3 million a year ago. "AMG produced solid earnings growth in the second quarter of 2006, notwithstanding a challenging equity market environment. Our organic growth remains strong, as net client cash flows during the quarter were $2.9 billion, driven by the strength and diversity of our Affiliates' product offerings," Sean M. Healey, the company's president and chief executive, said in a statement. Of the asset managers that have reported earnings, none have escaped the effects of a second-quarter stock slide that spurred investors to withdraw money from funds. At AMG, assets under management, a key driver of profits at money management firms, hit $202.26 billion at the end of the second quarter. That was up from roughly $138 billion a year ago but down from the $202.85 billion logged at the end of March. Of the $2.9 billion in second-quarter net cash flows, $2.2 billion went into the company's institutional, mutual fund and high-net-worth channels. AMG has investments in more than two dozen midsized money managers. The company also said it will use cash on its books to buy back shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV