China Stocks End Mixed
BEIJING -- Stocks ended mixed in China Friday, with Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index falling 0.1% to 16,464, while in Shanghai the benchmark Composite Index added 0.6% to 1665.
Friday, China Eastern confirmed long-standing rumors by acknowledging it has had recent discussions with potential investors, including Singapore Air.The Shanghai Securities News quoted China Eastern President Li Fenghua saying the airline had been in touch with investors and that it aims to sell at least 20% of its shares. Speculation over the potential sale of a China Eastern stake follows a spate of regional airline deals this spring. In June, Hong Kong carrier Cathay Pacific took control of Hong Kong's Dragon Airlines in a $1 billion deal, while at the same time doubling its stake in mainland carrier Air China to 20%. That left marketwatchers wondering about the fate of state-run China Eastern and China Southern, both loss makers. Of the two, China Eastern is considered a more inviting acquisition target, given its base in the business hub of Shanghai. Meanwhile, in the Internet arena, one China analyst offered a preliminary damage assessment on the effect of new wireless regulatory policies for lead industry player Tom Online (TOMO). Carrier policies announced earlier in July will require month-long free trial periods for wireless services, among other things. Since an average subscription period for wireless services is only three months, the shift is likely to take a substantial bite out of service-provider revenue. On July 10, Tom said in a release the policies would weigh on its sales, but it hasn't yet given any specific numbers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV