All's Well If Transports Keep Trucking
This column was originally published on RealMoney on July 17 at 10:30 a.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
Very early in my trading career, I studied the Dow Theory developed by Charles Dow. As much as anything else, it helped me make sense of the market because it is a combination of technical analysis and market philosophy. It put the pictures I was seeing into a real world context that explained them.
The Dow Theory can be used to identify broad market trends in the Dow Jones Industrial Average and Dow Jones Transportation Average. In very simple terms, an uptrend in the market is confirmed when both averages are making higher highs. A downtrend is marked by lower lows in both.
The industrial and transportation averages are extremely useful in signaling trend reversals because of their broad representation across the economic spectrum.In simple terms, the industrial average consists of companies that make stuff; the transportation average consists of companies that move that stuff to market. You can see how it pays to keep track of them.
It's always been my opinion that it pays to have more -- not fewer -- expert market views and analyses when you're making investing or trading decisions. That's why I recommend you take advantage of our free trial offer to TheStreet.com's RealMoney premium Web site, where you'll get in-depth commentary and money-making strategies from over 50 Wall Street pros, including Jim Cramer. Take my advice -- try it now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV