The Maven: Making the Most of Bad News
From war abroad, let's turn to natural disasters at home, like
(ALL). There is a good
Also in the latest
BusinessWeek is a good note of caution, specifically on tobacco. The Florida State Supreme Court's dismissal of the Engle suit earlier this month and the decrease in other claims in recent years has been received as good news for the tobacco companies. But the overall level of litigation is still high and some of it might be successful, according to
BusinessWeek, which offers a
And wouldn't it be nice if we could litigate inflation away? We can't, but
And an unlikely bit of good news at Pepsi (PEP), where the flagship brand fell worse than flat (Pepsi volume slipped 1%) but the company at large outperformed due to an increasingly successful noncarbonated business. It's adding to its noncarbonated businesses and wrote off soft drink weakness to price and obesity concerns.The company also did an "at least" numbers guidance, my favorite. They said full-year earnings would be "at least" $2.95 a share, up from $2.93. A key factor going forward was left unsaid. Pepsi executives are quoted all over creation (including in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV