The Maven: Making the Most of Bad News
So much bad news, so little time.
We are ending a week that included bombs over Israel, even Japan raising rates and a parade of questionable earnings reports in the U.S., where a pastor speaking at Ken Lay's funeral likened the Enron scoundrel to lynching victim James Byrd Jr. If I left anything out, just write it off to exhaustion.
But with the world apparently coming unhinged, let's pay special attention in coming days to buying opportunities.
One doesn't need a weather vane to see which way the wind is blowing in the Israeli stock market. Israeli investors are close to panic mode, with the market dropping more than 8% in the past two days.
(PRGO) fell about half that (so far) in American markets, but our own
TheStreet.com correspondent in Tel Aviv, Elinor Arbel, picks the right time to
"I therefore firmly believe that for Israelis the Chinese market is just like the wide sea for fish to leap or that vast sky for birds to fly."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV