PepsiCo Net Rises 14%
PepsiCo's (PEP) second-quarter earnings rose a better-than-expected 14% from last year, as the company continued to get a strong and balanced performance from its line of drinks and snacks.
Pepsi earned $1.36 billion, or 80 cents a share, in the quarter, compared with $1.19 billion, or 70 cents a share, last year. Analysts had been forecasting earnings of 77 cents a share in the latest quarter, according to Thomson First Call. Sales rose 12% to $8.6 billion in the quarter, about $120 million ahead of estimates.
For all of 2006, Pepsi expects to earn at least $2.95 a share, compared with the Thomson First Call consensus estimate of $2.96 a share.
"Our international business had another outstanding quarter, with double-digit revenue and operating profit growth," Pepsi said. "And in North America, our balanced product portfolio has been a key to our results. Our beverage growth in North America was driven by our leading portfolio of noncarbonated beverages, and our snacks business had solid growth in both core salty snacks and in other macro snacks."In premarket trading Thursday, PepsiCo rose 84 cents, or 1.4%, to $61.94.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV