Wyeth Upbeat About Earnings
"While it is too early to predict with any assurance how long it will take to resolve these issues, Wyeth believes it is moving in the right direction," the company said. It hopes to settle the matter by the end of the year.
Additionally, Wyeth said it now expects to launch the oral contraceptive Lybrel early next year. In late June, Wyeth received
The FDA wants more information about clinical trials and added data about manufacturing methods. The agency will convene a panel of experts to review the clinical trials. Wyeth said Wednesday that Lybrel's approval is contingent on the FDA endorsing changes at the Puerto Rico plant.
Wyeth also said it will delay the launch of an experimental depression drug, DVS-233, because it's conducting more clinical tests on a lower-dose version. The additional tests weren't ordered by the FDA, Essner said. Instead, they represent research that had been planned for some time.The company is testing the drug for other uses, including symptoms of menopause, a form of chronic muscle and bone pain called fibromyalgia and chronic pain caused by damaged or injured nerve fibers. Wyeth submitted its DVS-233 application for depression to the FDA in December, and company officials said they still expect to hear from the agency in October. However, they won't be able to evaluate the results of the additional clinical tests until early 2007. The company said it plans to launch the drug next year "with those lower-dose data available, subject to the FDA's approval" of Wyeth's application.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV