Nerves Frayed at Forest
Forest Laboratories (FRX) is entering this quarterly earnings season with a dilemma common to its brand-name peers -- what to do about the threat of generic competition.
The difference is that the impact could be quite uncommon if Forest loses a patent fight for the antidepressant Lexapro, which accounted for $1.87 billion, or 63% of its corporate revenue, for the fiscal year ended March 31.
New York-based Forest is being challenged by Israel's Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (TEVA), which wants to break Lexapro's U.S. patent. A trial was held in March, and a judge's decision is expected this summer, perhaps even this month.
There's plenty of nervousness because Lexapro's impact on Forest is far greater than what, for example,
Going to CourtForest's stock has bounced around from the mid-$30s to the high-$50s, but the net effect over the last 12 months has been basically no change in the shares. The stock closed at $38.56 Wednesday. The quarter that ended June 30 won't reveal anything about the Lexapro litigation when the results are presented next week, but analysts will certainly ask Forest officials about another event that could affect the drug's sales. Pfizer's antidepressant Zoloft lost U.S. patent protection on June 30, and analysts want to assess the impact of generic versions, especially if managed-care companies persuade their customers to use cheaper products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV